Monday, May 12, 2008

Cheap Date

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day. Granted, the baby is not out in the world yet, but let's face it. A person is a person, no matter how small. (Dr. Seuss) And, my life has changed a lot although the little one has not taken his/her first breath. So, it was a milestone for me.

Kevin offered to take me out to eat, wherever I wanted to go. Did I choose the tasty brunch at the Olde Shaker Inn? No. What about the fabulous family-owned Italian place, Scotti's? Nope. I decided on pineapple pizza from Pizza Hut. Mmmmmm... As Kevin would say, that's my belly talking.

Belly is rather boisterous about food these days. My sister just got engaged a few weeks ago (Congrats Martin and Beth!). While we were on the phone dishing about the wedding plans, she told me she was considering an Italian stir-fry bar for the reception meal. So, naturally, I suggested gelato for dessert. It's better than ice cream and it coordinates with the Italian food theme, right?

Kevin, who was in earshot, gave a hardy laugh and suggested that was a Belly intervention, if he'd ever heard one. My sister said that she was going to hold off taking food advice from me until after the baby is born. "Who knows? You'll start suggesting salami-wrapped pickles as an appetizer."

Thanks for the votes of confidence, family. Though I must admit I bought salami the day before that conversation and that very afternoon I caught a whiff of dill pickle from a deli and thought it seemed mighty good. Perhaps they weren't too far off.

No comments: