Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On Being Home

Last week Kevin and I were on vacation with his fam on Lake Michigan, hence the long no-posting streak. Here's a pic of Kevin and his mom during a fabulous sunset.



Here's another beauteous shot:



On that pictoral note, I am really glad to be back near the Great Lakes. I grew up in a small town on Lake Michigan, and now that I am back from being away for a few years, I realize that there is a peace, beauty, and comfort that I experience on her shores that I have not found anywhere else.

During the past week, I was also reminded how different the lake appears every day. There are clear, sunny afternoons when the light bounces off the choppy water like sparkling diamonds, and other days when the haze and clouds make it difficult to discern where the sky ends and the water begins, and still others when thunder clouds roll toward the shore with their lightning bolting into the water. Like all of life, whether you are basking in the sun or under the clouds in the rain, whether you are joyful or in pain, there is always beauty to experience. You just need to have eyes for it.

No comments: