Friday, January 18, 2008

Granny Underwear or Granny Wisdom?

"Life is like wearing granny underwear. Sometimes, it just gets bunched up."
-My Mom

How true, Mother Dear. Life's circumstances-stresses, changes, sorrows, joys-can pile up and leave you thinking, "How is all of this happening at once?" When did all of this stuff get "bunched" together leaving me yanking at it, trying to make everything smooth and right again?

As of late, I realized that if I am to have any peace, especially when life gets "bunchy," I need to stop the yanking. More often than not, my problems don't need a yank, like a granny underwear wedgy. They need time, patience, grace, and a lot of surrender.

During my undergraduate years, my grandmother wrote me letters every week. She is a strong, gracious woman of faith and throughout those years, she often shared this Scripture:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not;
In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

This truth resonates now more than ever. In surrender and reliance on God, I am better able to see His plan unfold in peace. So Grandma, thank you for your love and wisdom...but you can keep your underwear.

No comments: