Saturday, July 25, 2009

Preserving a Relic

I am at my mom's place this week since Kevin is jetsetting. On Thursday morning, my mom announced that one of her coworkers is looking for bowling balls so that she can do this little craft. "Hm, interesting," I said.

It got a little more than interesting when my mom said she thought it would be a great opportunity to get my dad's old bowling ball of her hands. My father passed away about 15 years ago, and we still have many relics of his old hobbies hanging around the house. At first, the idea of giving away my dad's old bowling ball that had not been used since the early 70s seemed pretty benign.

The next morning, my mom brought the ball upstairs, and once I saw it, I just couldn't let it become a dippy ladybug lawn ornament! That bowling ball is heavy and black and polished. It even has my dad's initials emblazoned on it! It seemed a total insult to his memory to allow a prized, if little used, possession of my beloved father to be turned into something so sissy. So, the bowling ball is still around. If anyone knows of someone who needs a bowling ball to use for actual bowling, leave a comment. I think I could let that slide.

No comments: