Monday, April 18, 2011

Crafty Exploit: Millinery!


James and I will be flying to Albany NY in a couple weeks to visit my dear friend Claire. She has a serious preoccupation with British royalty and so, to commemorate the upcoming royal nuptials, she will be throwing a party. And, of course, in typical UK fashion, I have to wear a hat.

I spent way too much time on Saturday combing the internet for a fun and inexpensive fascinator, but nothing in my price range really screamed, "You must have me!" The fascinators I really liked (those that didn't look too prom-ish or flapper-ish) were upwards of $60, which I really didn't want to spend.

On an impromptu trip to Target, I found this little cloche for $12.99. I admit that it is rather drab, but the neutrality has its appeal. The party isn't formal, so I'll probably wear jeans and fun shoes, and since I'm traveling and won't have access to my closet for last minute wardrobe changes, I'll have to deal with what is in my over-stuffed suitcase, i.e. black, pearls and easily packable. So, I went on Etsy and found some fabulous feathers and a cameo brooch to dress it up. I'm really excited to embark a completely new creative endeavor. I've never really worn hats (knit snow hats don't count!) much less trimmed one myself. This will be an adventure.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Claire person sounds awesome.