Saturday, September 22, 2012

Souper Saturday: Game Day Turkey Chili

Since fall and the inevitable beginnings of cooler weather are setting in, I'm starting a little recipe series: Souper Saturdays.  So, for an indeterminate number of Saturdays, I'll post my favori,e and perhaps experimental, soup recipes.  I can taste the spoonfuls of steamy goodness now...

As much as I love summer and sun and warm weather, I love fall for all of the tasty soups that come back to our family's menu.  One of our favorites is Turkey Chili.  I really wasn't much for cooking until Kevin and I were married and this recipe for Terrific Turkey Chili is one of the very first recipes I bothered to file in the recipe box my aunt gave me at a wedding shower.  Over the past 7+ years, I've tweeked the recipe several times and now it is savory-spicy perfection. 

This recipe is really easy to adapt for vegetarian tastes.  Just eliminate the turkey, add a can or two of beans and substitute vegetable broth or stock for the beef broth, but I would still add the taco seasoning to give it that kick.  As a side note, I recently started making my own taco seasoning and it is fabulous: tastier, cheaper and no artificial ingredients.

Pair this chili with some cornbread or tortilla chips and beer and you have a sure winner for Football Saturdays.

Game Day Turkey Chili (adapted from Terrific Turkey Chili at All Recipes)

Ingredients
1-2 lb. ground turkey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided







1.  Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble turkey into the pot, stirring with a wooden spoon to break apart as much as possible. Season with taco seasoning mix and mix until meat is evenly coated with seasonings. Continue cooking, reducing heat if necessary, until turkey is well browned.
2.  Pour in beef broth, and simmer to reduce liquid slightly, about 5 minutes. Add salsa, tomatoes, beans and green chilies, and continue cooking at a moderate simmer for ten minutes. Adjust the thickness at any time you feel necessary by adding water.
3.  While chili is still cooking, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion and green bell pepper, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent and bell pepper is lightly browned. Add onion and bell pepper to the chili, and continue cooking at a very low simmer.  Again, adjust the consistency with water as needed.
5.  Ladle chili into serving bowls. Top with sour cream, green onion, and cheddar cheese, and serve.


No comments: