Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thick as Thieves

I'm pretty sure Buck and Monica have formed an alliance against me.

As you'll recall, Monica and Buck have taken to sharing toys, much to my chagrin. While I've resigned myself to the fact that a baby playing on the floor usually means a baby eating things off the floor, I just can't handle her mouthing Buck's nasty licked and chewed stuffed animal. I made a pact to prevent it at all, well, most costs.

Yesterday, I was cutting watermelon in the kitchen and keeping the occasional eye on Monica (who is very mobile now) when I saw the dog skitter through the dining room. I peeked around he corner to see what was going on and caught a glimpse of Monica with her hands all over the mangy Garfield. Her little tongue was about to make contact when I yanked the slimy, crusted thing away and put it in the dog toy basket on our raised hearth. I knew she couldn't get it there, at least. She was less than pleased but soon scooted off to other amusement.

I went back to my watermelon and saw the dog streak by. I peeked around the corner and found the mangy Garfield in Monica's mitts, again! That crazy dog went to the basket, got the Garfield, dropped it on the floor in front of Monica, and fled the scene.

Now, I really hesitate to believe that this was premeditated, but you have to wonder. Maybe I should just give up my quest. I am outnumbered, after all.

3 comments:

Reenie said...

That is hilarious and gross at the same time. But the dog's no dummy, he knows who throws the most food, who to be BFF with so as to glean treats for years to come... yup, smart move Buck. Give Monica whatever she wants :)

Mary said...

That is so funny!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, but last night when mom was out and about, the dog did the same thing with the weird green toy. He plopped it down right in front of her and then let her grab it.