Monday, February 15, 2010

The Perils of Toddler-dom: Shoulda Seen That One Coming

Like most toddlers, Monica likes to pull open drawers and toss their contents about the room. During one of these episodes in the bathroom, Kevin remarked how if Monica went into the bathroom, closed the door and opened the drawer to ransack it, we wouldn't be able to get her out. "Hmmm," we thought. "We'll have to keep that in mind."

This afternoon, I was folding laundry and the house seemed all too quiet. I went looking for Monica and heard noises from the bathroom, which was dark and closed off. I called for Monica and tried to open the door, but it was blocked. Monica shut herself in the bathroom and I could not, for the life of me, get her out. She had fulfilled Kevin's prophecy. She had closed the door and opened the drawer to ransack it leaving me shut out of the bathroom and leaving her stuck in the dark screaming like a banshee.

She's at the point where she will sometimes follow simple directions like, "Get the ball," or "Shut the door." For a couple minutes I tried asking her to shut the drawer, but she just screamed and cried. It was dark in there and I'm sure she was scared. That's when I started to get scared. What if she was hurt? What if she got something in the drawer (lotion, soap, medication) and had eaten it? I called Kevin who suggested bending a coat hanger and putting it under the door to try and push the offending drawer closed. That didn't work and I started my own set of hysterics, so Kevin decided to drive home from work.

In the meantime, I called 911. A few minutes later, Kevin flew in the driveway, grabbed a 3 Iron from his golf bag and charged in the house.

To Be Continued...

No comments: